Skip to content ↓

Our History

There has been a Fawbert & Barnard school since the 1840s. It was set up by the Fawbert & Barnard Foundation using money left by George Fawbert a maltster of Waltham Cross who died in 1824. John Barnard was his executor. The school still receives money from the trust today. In 1895 a new building (our Victorian building) was built to house two schools, one for girls and infants and the other for boys. The separate entrances can still be seen in Knight Street. In the 1960s the school became too small and Reedings Junior School was built for the 7-11 year olds, leaving the infants at Fawbert & Barnard. Most of our pupils still go on to Reedings today and we maintain strong connections with them to make the transition as smooth as possible.